KIDNEY BIOPSY ALLOCATION
In general, assuming 18 gauge cores, try to allocate
- 0.3cm - 0.5cm of cortex with glomeruli for Michel’s, IF
- 1.0cm to 3.0cm of cortex with glomeruli for formalin, LM
- 0.3cm - 0.5cm of cortex with glomeruli for glutaraldehyde, EM
The tissue will be entirely safe in any of these fixatives for at least several days.
Refrigeration is not required.
RUN OUT OF OUR KIDNEY BIOPSY KITS?
Acceptable alternative for Michel’s / Immunofluorescence
- flow cytometry media / RPMI
- Zeus transport fluid
Acceptable alternatives to 2% Phosphate buffered Glutaraldehyde for electron microscopy
- 10% NB formalin or paraformaldehyde
- allocate all tissue for light and electron microscopy to this fixative, and we will re-allocate for EM
When a limited sample is obtained, allocate to Michel's and formalin. We will re-allocate for EM.